Keeping Your Data Safe
When information is lost, either to a system crash or to hackers, it can feel like we are losing a piece of our lives. That’s why keeping our data secure and safe is of the up-most priority. Tips to keep in mind that will help keep your data safe from both an internal malfunction or an external invasion.
- Be proactive with your protection software. Anti-virus software is a basic requirement and can be obtained either on a subscription based model and/or a free model. Anti-malware often comes bundled with anti-virus, but if not, can also a good tool to have in your arsenal.
- Viruses and spyware can creep into your computer and easily degrade performance and corrupt and/or destroy data.
- Use a firewall. Firewalls assist in blocking dangerous programs, viruses or spyware before they infiltrate your system. Various software companies offer firewall protection, but hardware-based firewalls, like those frequently built into network routers, provide a better level of security.
- Be cautious of suspicious emails from unknown sources. Don’t open emails with attachments if you don’t know the sender.
- Steer clear of websites of ill repute. These are havens for malicious and annoying intruders like spyware.
- Keep your operating system updated. Repair the security holes that hackers love to exploit with the newest critical updates from Microsoft or Apple.
Consistent data backup is also a crucial component. Backing up to a separate media device or an online backup solution on a regular basis ensures that your important files are secure. Take a look at our backup your data post for tips and recommendations for data backup.